Tuesday, 17 May 2011

The Cake is a Lie.












Since I have basically being emailed constantly to do a Portal review, I'll try my best in order to review it as accurately as possible. I haven't played Portal 2, but apparently the original Portal is alot better than Portal 2. But anyway, time to review it!

Portal is a first-person logic/puzzle game that is made by the company Valve, yes. It's another Steam Game, since most games run off Steam now. I'll hopefully find a game that ISN'T on Steam for all you Linux users! However, the game is on PC, Xbox and also Playstation 3, which was introduced with the "Orange Box".

The plot of the game starts off when you have woken up in a chamber and you have to complete numerous objectives to escape the chamber, and to do this you have to use your logic and your Portal Gun. You will go through an enduring 19 Test-Chambers in order to "escape." And as you complete these chambers, GLaDOS (The Robot who screens the Voice-Messages as you progress through the levels) introduces new skills to you, which aid you through the chambers, each level incorporates an additional ability, or thereforth.

Now, despite being extremely short in length, the game itself has additional features such as additional challenges, speed clears and also advanced chambers, each with different mechanics bound to the chamber. Below is the basic gameplay which is used for Portal.
Left/Right Click - Produces a Portal in which you can jump through in order to get where the other Portal that you used, you can travel back through it if you haven't touched the original portal.
WASD - Makes you move your character, just like many games that are First-Person.
E - Picks up an object, such as a block, which is used to activate switches throughout the game.
Space - Jump!


There is not exactly much more to go on through the game as I don't want to spoil it.

As I said above, it's a very short game, but it has an extremely good replay value attached to it. This game is also available on Steam for $9.99, http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/ or at your local Gaming-Store. (EB Games, etc) and is usually priced at around $20 if you buy it from retail.

It is worth buying for the cost, as quality > quantity goes. It's highly in the quality region.

Once again, peace. Unityx!

12 comments:

  1. co-op is just amazing. Defenitly recommand you find a good buddy and play it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. it never gets me bored, playing with portals and doing different shit, especially when I'm drunk with my friends.. it becomes crazy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it in the Orange Box, didn't think much of it. Played. Life never the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still haven't tried Portal 2. The original is one of my favourites ever though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original is the best in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, the original is good, but the second is better. Portal was a beta test. While Portal 2 is the finished product.
    I got Portal for free from Steam. I had already completed it on the orange box like 10 times though. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so badly want portal 2, but I would never pay so much for it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. aghhh i can't wait to play portal 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just borrowed Portal from a friend of mine. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portal 2 was just win all together. It only lasted me 6 hours though. =\

    ReplyDelete
  11. Portal and Portal 2 are two of my favorite games ever, and that's among CoD, Halo, and other big-name franchises.

    ReplyDelete