Saturday, 11 June 2011

I've got the Need for..

Need for Speed – Shift Unleashed 2 is one of the newest releases by EA Games that was shipped out earlier this year! As it is the sequel to Need for Speed – Shift which was released in 2009, the game itself hasn’t changed that much, however. It still contains the same familiar approach just like any other Need for Speed racing game. It really had to pull its fingers out of its arse as the original Shift was a complete disappointment. And now, since they’ve released it this year, they’ve had to ramp it up in order to attempt to be on par with Gran-Turismo 5.

Just like every other Need for Speed game, you still have your car-yard to buy vehicles, you have your garage to upgrade and tweak your vehicles and just like EVERY other game, the races get harder as you progress through the game. However, they finally decided to introduce a new feature into the game, which is Helmet Cam, and yeah, it does take a while to adjust. But its actually worthwhile as it brings a variation into the game which is nice to see for a change.

Now, about the game itself. There are many positives to discuss about the game, but then there are a few negatives that are present aswell. However, a few things caught my eye and that is because:
  • The graphics are decent, and by that I mean they are really quite the part. The sun glare and the night-time racing really brings the game out.
  • The handling of the cars is good, some cars such as the American- Heavy Muscle cars are actually quite hard to drive, and the standard European cars have quite good handling. It’s a bit more realistic in a sense.
  • They’ve put in a driving line for new players to adjust to, however. It does get annoying so, feel free to turn it off in the menu.
  • The Bots/AI are actually intelligent. Which means, they aren’t boring and you can actually have a blast at racing.
  • Damage is more realistic. Nothing like seeing the paint scrape off the side of your car, or having a nice dint in your bumper.
  • Last but not least, the cinematics and cut-scenes are good.
The things I didn't like, or.. the negatives of the game.
  • Most of the tracks are extremely easy, like… they just lacked innovation, however some of the tracks, like Mount-Panorama in Bathurst, Australia will always be hard and fun.
  • There are NO fucking Australian V8’s. Like, what the fuck. That’s like the highlight of any racing game. ): 

My Ford Focus yo.
Anyways, the basic gameplay looks like this. As you can tell, the graphics are quite good, but quite blurry in this picture, as I basically just joined a quick race and took a snap.. The default UI is still the same.

Now, is this game worth the money. In my eyes, it is. It has the qualities that are there for a genuinely decent racing game, however it still falls a little short below GT5. If you’re after American Muscle, decent European Cars and Japanese Imports with a great driving experience, then this is the game for you. You can buy it from most of your local retailers, EB/JB Hi-Fi and also Game for $69 - $79 depending on where you shop. You can also buy it from Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/47920/ for $79.99 USD.
Sorry for the long review. Shif7.

Next review! Assassin's Creed - Brotherhood!

32 comments:

  1. looks like a fun game =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a quality title. I might buy it on PC so I can try to replicate that drool-inducing screenshot you've kindly included

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love need for speed games, going to have to get this game

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great game, tested on my friends 17" laptop and had a blast. Much better than the first Shift.

    Looking forward to your next AC review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never been much of a race gamer although i have to say the last years they've gotten my attention slightly... especially by the graphics and the reality

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this game.

    However, I've always prefered the older ones.

    But heh, thats just me, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After hot pursuit, i stopped the genre :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like fun, i'm not normally into racing games but I might try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. Always a solid series so I will probably check it out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never really liked this kind of game, but nice post anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not played Need for Speed in several years and I can not even remember which one I played. I have been thinking about getting back into that style of game though. Thanks for the info and the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it bad that quote makes me more nostalgic for classic X-Play than Top Gun?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was considering to buy this when i saw it on steam, i probably will end up doing it now! (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy carp.... Amazing graphics I migth get abck into NFS again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll never fucking pay $80 for a game. I don't know why anyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NFS isn't impressive. Can't wait for AC though...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I mean, this game is better than Hot Pursuit. Hot Pursuit was a let down, and so was the original Shift-Unleashed. However, this game is quite decent and has more progressive gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review. I'm glad that you said the cars are a bit harder to handle and they put driving lines in, not because I need them but maybe that means that the physics are a bit more realistic now. Because of you I might pick this game up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The need for speed series just gets better and better. thank you for this excellent review

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never been a fan of those racing games, but that is just awesome!

    Looking forward for your next review!

    Followed because of same interests :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not a huge fan of racing games but when I want to play a racing game I play NFS for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How expensive are games gonna be on next gen consoles?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the write up. I'm still holding out for Forza.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have always loved racing games. Why is this one so expensive though?

    ReplyDelete
  25. $80 for a game?... I'm better off buying the previous version since there aren't THAT many differences.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never been a big fan of the NFS series but this one I might just check out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was missing a good racing game, thanks for the tip :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. looks like a great racing game.

    ReplyDelete